Extension Master Food Volunteer Program – 2020 Applications Now Available
If yes, then learn more about our new Extension Master Food Volunteer Program! The Extension Master Food Volunteer Program (EMFVP), similar to the highly recognized Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program, is designed to provide opportunities for volunteers to be a part of Extension’s food-related workshops and activities.
2020 Training Program
- Dates & Time: Tuesdays, February 4th – March 24th | 6 – 8 p.m.
- Location: Lucile Tatum Center – 959 Osceola St., Gastonia, NC
- Registration Deadline: Tuesday, January 7th
Why become a Extension Master Food Volunteer?
Benefits to you include:
- Gain cooking and knife skills
- Receive nutrition and food safety training
- Participate in day trips to area food processing plants and research facilities
- Make connections to our local food system
- Meet new people who share your interest in food and nutrition – locally and statewide
- Be a part of NC Cooperative Extension’s food, nutrition, and wellness workshops in Gaston County
- Make a difference throughout your community
- Conduct cooking demos at farmers markets, churches, and other community locations
- Assist with home canning workshops
- Provide educational outreach at health fairs and community festivals
- Volunteer with Annual Somethin’ Pumpkin Cooking Contest & Fall Festival
- Assist with Extension youth-based nutrition and cooking workshops
- Help develop a local foods learning center
- 30-hrs educational training
- 30-hrs “shadowing” an agent
- 20-hrs volunteer service annually
- 10-hrs continuing education annually
Training and continuing education provided through the Extension Master Food Volunteer Program. Learning activities conducted by Extension’s registered dietitian, Linda J. Minges.
- Contact Extension agent, Linda J. Minges (phone: 704.922.2127) for complete details to determine if this program is right for you.
- Complete Volunteer Application Form and mail or drop-off to: NC Cooperative Extension, PO Box 1578, Attn: Linda J. Minges, Gastonia, NC 28053.
- Complete the EMFVP training (30-hrs). Being scheduled for early 2020 with input from participants and will be held at the Lucile Tatum Ctr., 959 Osceola St., Gastonia, NC.
- Cost: $40 (valued over $1,000). Scholarships available upon request.