About Somethin’ Pumpkin
Over the past several years, Somethin’ Pumpkin has become a family-centered event which carries on not only the skill of cooking, but also the enjoyment of preparing food with family and friends.
Somethin’ Pumpkin is a cooking contest, pumpkin decorating contest, and festival designed by NC Cooperative Extension as part of Cotton Ginning Days. From growing and cooking with pumpkin, activities encourage families to connect with local agriculture, as well as community resources.
The contest includes six categories – main dish, desserts, miscellaneous, home grown, youth: ages 8-12, and youth: ages 13-18. Entries are judged and displayed as part of Cotton Ginning Days. Cash prizes are awarded for first, second, and third place in each category, as well as a grand prize winner.
Free youth activities, such as pumpkin decorating and face painting, are provided. New this year will be paper crafting activities and craft demos – perfect for individuals of all ages!
Click here for Contest Application
Congratulations to all participants of the 2017 Cooking Contest! With over 50 IMPRESSIVE pumpkin dishes, our judges had a very difficult time in selecting winners…but enjoyed every bite!
See our full photo album on Facebook: @GastonExtensionHealthyLiving
2017 Contest Winners
Overall Grand Prize Winner: Ann Helms – Pumpkin Torte
- 1st place: Peg Kast – Pumpkin Cheesecake Bites with Tipsy Maple Pecan Icing
- 2nd place: Derinda Fredrickson – Pumpkin Dump Cake
- 3rd place: Adrienne Jones – Pumpkin Carrot Cake
- 1st place: Emily May – Cinnamon Role Breakfast Casserole
- 2nd place: Cassandra Evans – Pumpkin Chipotle Meatloaf
- 3rd place: Megan Bowen – Pumpkin Chili
- 1st place: Ann Helms – Pumpkin Spice White Hot Chocolate
- 2nd place: Cassandra Evans – Cheesy Pumpkin Sausage Tart
- 3rd place: Audrey Hunt – White Pumpkin Cheese Ball
- 1st place: Emory Johnson – Perfectly Spiced Pumpkin Pie
- 2nd place: Jackson Scism – Pumpkin Curry Chicken
- 3rd place: Madison Dodd – Pumpkin Fudge