Somethin’ Pumpkin Virtual Fest 2021
From growing, cooking, and decorating, the 7th Annual Somethin’ Pumpkin has “somethin’ for everyone” during October. This virtual festival includes several contests designed for the whole family. Winners are announced during the virtual awards program, held on Saturday, October 23, 2021. Be sure to participate for a chance to win prizes – including money!
N.C. Cooperative Extension and Gaston County Public Library are pleased to announce the slate of events that kick off in October. Rules apply for each contest. Check out all of our family fun contests below:
- Cooking Contest – enter your pumpkin dish creations for the chance to win cash prizes ($200 grand prize) in a range of categories including main courses, desserts, and miscellaneous dishes. Registration Deadline: October 1st. Click here for contest rules.
- Pumpkin Decorating Contest – pick up a pumpkin from participating libraries and join in the decorating fun! Registration Deadline: October 15th. Click here for contest rules.
- Pumpkin Photo Contest – submit your favorite pumpkin-themed photo for a chance to win prizes in the newest event for 2021. Registration Deadline: October15th. Click here for contest rules.
Virtual Awards Presentation: Sat., October 23, 2021
1 – 2 p.m. | Virtual Awards Presentation
Registration will be done online via Eventbrite. Click here to register for any or all events.
A special thanks to our 2021 Sponsors and Partners:
City of Bessemer City, Farm Bureau – Gaston County, Gaston County Sheriff’s Office, Ford’s Seed Store, Friends of the Gaston County Public Library, Gaston County Travel & Tourism, KTC Broadcasting, Lineberger’s Farm, Minges Printing Co., NC Extension & Community Association, and NC Extension Master Gardeners Volunteer Program.
For further information contact Linda J. Minges or call 704.922.2127.
Saturday, October 3, 2020
Somethin’ Pumpkin in the News
Thanks to our local media that helped promote this year’s event – we appreciate your support!
Gaston Gazette’s Piedmont Now Magazine:
KTC Broadcasting’s Community Spotlight:
Wilson’s World from WCCB-TV:
2020 Winners Announced: Cooking & Decorating Contests
Cooking Contest Winners
Congratulations to all Cooking Contest winners – with over 40 IMPRESSIVE pumpkin dishes, our judges had a very difficult time in selecting winners…but enjoyed every bite!
Youth and adults participated in the contest, which included a wide variety of creative and delicious foods. Eight contest categories included: 1) Main Dish, 2) Desserts, 3) Miscellaneous, 4) Home Grown, 5) Youth (ages 8-12): Main Dish & Miscellaneous, 6) Youth: Ages 8-12 – Desserts, 7) Youth: Ages 13-18: Main Dish & Miscellaneous, and 8) Youth: Ages 13-18: Desserts.
Through the sponsorship of the Gaston County Farm Bureau prizes were awarded in each category: first place – $100, second place – $50, and third place – $25. A grand prize of $200 was awarded to the overall contest winner. Congratulations to all contest winners including:
Grand Prize Winner
Pumpkin Lasagna – submitted by Lila St. Romain of Gastonia, NC. Special recognition goes to Miss St. Romain, who was a youth contestant in the Youth (Ages 8-12) categories.
Main Dish Category Winners
- 1st Place: Pumpkin Lasagna with Spinach – submitted by Jamie Smith of Lincolnton, NC
- 2nd Place: Pumpkin Soup – submitted by Christopher Smith of Mooresville, NC
- 3rd Place: Pumpkin Potato Corn Chowder– submitted by Sandra Long of Gastonia, NC
Dessert Category Winners
- 1st Place: Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream with Bourbon & Spice Praline Pecans – submitted by Jamie Smith of Lincolnton, NC
- 2nd Place: Pumpkin Mousse in a Cup – submitted by Deborah Mayfield of Shelby, NC
- 3rd Place: Pumpkin & Dulce De Leche – submitted by Maria Canseco of Gastonia, NC
Miscellaneous Category Winners
- 1st Place: Comfort Pumpkin Drink – submitted by Ann Helms of Gastonia, NC
- 2nd Place: Pumpkin Spice Latte Dip – submitted by Christopher Smith of Mooresville, NC
- 3rd Place: Vegan Pumpkin Morning Glory Muffin – submitted by Jamie Smith of Lincolnton, NC
Youth: 8-12 Main Dish & Miscellaneous Winners
- 1st Place: Pumpkin Dip – submitted by Shannah Spargo of Aiken, SC
- 2nd Place: Tortellini with Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce – submitted by Kordak Genovese of Gastonia, NC
Youth (Ages 8-12): Dessert Category Winners
- 1st Place: Pumpkin Everything Cake – submitted by Shannah Spargo of Aiken, SC
- 2nd Place: Chocolate Pumpkin Truffles – submitted by Therese Eitzenberger of Charlotte, NC
- 3rd Place: Peanut Butter Pumpkin Fudge – submitted by Kordak Genovese of Gastonia, NC
Youth (Ages 13-18): Dessert Winners
- 1st Place: Pumpkin Cheesecake Cookie Bars – submitted by Kelli McGuire of Maiden, NC
- 2nd Place: White Chocolate Pumpkin Truffles – submitted by Addison Brown of Lincolnton, NC
- 3rd Place: Best Pumpkin Spice Blondies – submitted by Bronwen St. Romain of Gastonia, NC – Photo currently not available
Home Grown Category Winners
- 1st Place: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread – submitted by Linda Carpenter of Shelby, NC
- 2nd Place: Pumpkin Butter Pound Cake with Caramel Frosting – submitted by Adrienne Jones of Lincolnton, NC
- 3rd Place: Baked Pumpkin Donut Holes – submitted by Addison Brown of Lincolnton, NC
Pumpkin Decorating Contest
There were over 18 entries in Gaston County Public Library’s annual Pumpkin Decorating Contest. Participants were asked to decorate small pumpkins based on their favorite characters and themes. Three winners were announced at Somethin’ Pumpkin:
- Kindergarten – 2nd Grade Category: Creepy Pair of Underwear – submitted by Rhett Edwards
- 3rd-5th Grade Category : The Princess in Black – submitted by Katriel Jackson
- First Place, Family: The Very Hungry Caterpillar – submitted by Rory Felton & Family
- First Place, Teen/Adult: The Tale of Despereaux – submitted by Iliyana Jackson