About Somethin’ Pumpkin
Over the past several years, Somethin’ Pumpkin has become a family-centered event which carries on not only the skill of cooking, but also the enjoyment of preparing food with family and friends.
Somethin’ Pumpkin is a cooking contest, pumpkin decorating contest, and festival designed by NC Cooperative Extension as part of Cotton Ginning Days. From growing and cooking with pumpkin, activities encourage families to connect with local agriculture, as well as community resources.
The contest includes six categories – main dish, desserts, miscellaneous, homegrown, youth: ages 8-12, and youth: ages 13-18. Entries are judged and displayed as part of Cotton Ginning Days. Cash prizes are awarded for first, second, and third place in each category, as well as a grand prize winner.
Congratulations to all participants of the 2018 Cooking Contest! With over 50 IMPRESSIVE pumpkin dishes, our judges had a very difficult time in selecting winners…but enjoyed every bite!
See our full photo album on Facebook: @GastonExtensionHealthyLiving
2018 Contest Winners
Overall Grand Prize Winner: Cassandra Evans – Stuffed Pork with Pumpkin & Blue Cheese
- 1st place: Betty Jones – Mini Ginger-Pumpkin Cheesecakes
- 2nd place: Lucinda Thornburg – Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake
- 3rd place: Cassandra Evans – Pumpkin Cake Cheesecake with Pecan Caramel Drizzle
- 1st place: Aaron Hines – Pumpkin Ravioli with Brown-Butter & Sage Sauce
- 2nd place: Debra Clancy – Harvest Pumpkin Tacos with Lime Crema
- 3rd place: Janet Bowen – Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
- 1st place: Audrey Hunt – Slow Cooker Pumpkin Butter
- 2nd place: Don Keller – Pumpkin Poppers with BBQ Sauce
- 3rd place: Cassandra Evans – Fall Pumpkin “Fatbread”
- 1st place: Sarah Scism – Pumpkin Casserole
- 2nd place: Adrienne Jones – Pumpkin Caramel Swirled Cheesecake
- 3rd place: Addison Brown – Pumpkin Cheesecake Sundaes
Youth: Ages 8 – 12:
- 1st place: Payton Lenox – Pumpkin Cake with Maple Pecan Frosting
- 2nd place: Alaina Renn – Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- 3rd place: Rylee Crocker – Pumpkin Bundt Cake
Youth: Ages 13-18:
- 1st place: Caroline Ivester – Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
- 2nd place: Faith Waelz – Low Carb Pumpkin Mousse
- 3rd place: East Gaston High School Food & Nutrition II Students – Group #4: Kourtney Beatty, Marissa Beatty, Brittany Hudspeth, Sierra Lineberger, Austin McLeroy, Steven Silva, and Logan Singleton – Pumpkin Brownies